Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Next-Day Brisket ~ page 165

Would you believe this is a plate of leftovers? I forgot to take a picture of this roast the day it was cooked. As you can see, it makes great leftovers too! I did a couple things different in this recipe. First, I used a plain old chuck roast, not a brisket--just because that is what I had in my freezer. Second, I didn't marinate overnight, because I planned to cook this in the slow cooker as I was to be gone all day. It cooked on low for about 10 hours--so I figured that was about the same as marinating 6 hours and cooking in the oven for 4 hours.

The tenderness was PERFECT. And what an aroma to come home to--oh my, the house was smelling good! I made this for my daughter-in-laws who were visiting, and Julia asked me why I didn't make gravy. Well, I didn't on the first round, because I was in a hurry, and also because I have found just the meat drippings taste pretty good the first time, so I often save the gravy making for the leftovers to make them special too. Also, that gives you a chance to refrigerate the drippings, and later scoop off and discard the fat that rise to the top.
Here is the delicious gravy that Julia didn't get to eat while she was here...This gravy is concentrated flavor, because the roast doesn't  have any water or broth added while it cooks. I shake about 1/3 cup flour with about 1/2 cup milk until smooth, then stir it into the bubbling drippings and cook at a simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. If you have enough meat and gravy leftover, this has the makings of a wonderful beef pot pie for round 3.

One final note--if my roast or brisket is small, I only use half of the package of dry onion soup mix that is called for, so the gravy does not get too salty.

No comments: