Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chicken Marsala ~ page 123


This was a spur of the moment dinner the other night...all I had to run by the store to grab were mushrooms. It makes 6 servings, so plan on leftovers if you don't have a big family or company coming over. I first had this dish at an Italian restaurant in Houston right after we moved here, and fell in love with the smooth sauce. Of course if you order it in a restaurant it is not so great for you. Most recipes I have seen for this dish have you adding in many tablespoons of butter at the end to make the sauce smooth and silky. I use cornstarch to add that without the fat.

Here I pre-measured everything on the counter an hour or so before dinner so that when Adam came home from work all I had to do was throw it all together. The only thing I didn't mix up was the cornstarch mixture. I have done that ahead of time on another recipe and thought that the cornstarch didn't thicken like it was suppose to. So now I do that at the last minute.


In case you are like me and have no idea about wines...here is what Marsala wine looks like. One bottle should make about 2 recipes of this. Below is the tender chicken tenders simmering away in the sauce! Yum!
For the kid friendly report...my 5 year old gobbled it up and the 2 year old did not, so she went to bed without dinner poor thing.



On a completely different topic...I made the forgotten short ribs from page 169 again last night for dinner...OH, my!!! There were to die for! You need to try them out right away if you haven't yet!! They were great with mashed potatoes!!! It says to cook for 4 hours, I had an extra hour so I let them keep cooking for another hour...they were falling apart delicious!


1 comment:

Carissa said...

For Memorial Day we went to a friend's pool. I needed to make sandwiches for us to bring...but I didn't have much to work with in the fridge. I ended up slicing up the leftover Chicken Marsala and putting it in a tortilla with shredded carrits, cucumbers, and lettuce. They really were very yummy and refreshing wraps for beside the pool! My girls even ate them!