Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Homemade Mayonnaise ~ page 21

I get such a kick out of making mayonnaise--like I have beat the system or something! It just seems like such an impossibility that you can take ingredients as simple as a raw egg, oil, and lemon juice, and make this creamy, delicious spread.
Now I know there are those that will be afraid of the raw egg. But my research on google shows that the odds of contracting salmonella from eggs is fairly slim --1 in 30,000. I know that is just google...but still, it seems very low odds of getting sick, and you are not eating the whole egg in a serving of this mayonnaise anyway. So onto mayonnaise making...
The only trick to this recipe is to dribble the oil into the top hole of the lid of the blender (that has the egg and lemon juice in it), drop my drop, then dribble by dribble, until all the oil is slowly incorporated.
Very quickly the mixture begins to thicken into a silky mass.
This is what you pour out of the blender--isn't that amazing? I do like to stir in the optional Dijon mustard into the finished mixture.
I made salmon salad for lunch with this mayonnaise (from the leftover honey-pepper salmon from the other day...).
My next use will be the homemade pimento cheese spread with my mayonnaise. And then I might finish off the rest as a tartar sauce with fish next week...we will see. I do like to use this mayonnaise up within a week, so I make out my plans for it when I make up a batch.

2 comments:

The Maulsbys said...

a quite note about raw egg :)

While preggo everyone is ALWAYS warning about raw egg, so when my mother in law wanted to make homemade icecream with her raw egg I was concerned, but she said NO WORRIES she had a secret!!!!

I guess if you put an egg in boiling water for 30 seconds and quickly removing it, it gets it hot enough to kill any bacteria it may contain without cooking the egg :)

TaDa!

Carissa said...

I have never heard of that! Good to know since I am pregnant and love cookie and cake batter! I ate more cupcake batter today than any pregnant lady should! Oops!