Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Home-Style Yeast Bread ~ page 280

The nice thing about this recipe is that it takes a little extra time to make homemade bread, but you get 3 loaves out of it! I was having several couples over for dinner, so we used 2 loaves for dinner, and still had one to stick in the freezer. If you aren't using the bread the same day I would freeze it even if it is just for a day or 2, it will stay moist and not dry out that way.
After it rises the first time I punch it down then divide into 3rds. Then pat each 3rd into a small rectangle and roll into a loaf. There are many ways to do it, that is just how I do it.. Above is the 3rd loaf about to be rolled up.

Above are the nice puffy loaves after the 2nd rising...it took them a little longer than the hour that the recipe said..not sure why, but I waited till they puffed up 1.5 -2 inches above the top of the pan. They don't rise a whole lot more after going in the oven.


I'm sorry, I didn't realize how dark this picture was until after I posted it. Kinda dramatic looking huh? I know what you are thinking....hmmm...those aren't the prettiest round shaped loaves I have ever seen... Well, just so you know, while I was shaping them I had a 2 year old sitting on the counter begging to help, poking them with her fingers every chance she got, then the 4 year old was stirring something hot on the stove...so had to keep running over to the other side of the kitchen to make sure she wasn't about to catch her fluffy princess dress-up dress on fire on the gas burner, and of course, that is when the 2 year old would do her poking at the bread! I tell ya...cooking with kiddos around should be an Olympic sport! :) --Carissa



No comments: