Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns ~ page 271


I must admit that I am not a hamburger fan. I finally decided the main reason was the bun. I just don't like those tasteless, white hamburger buns. But David is a HUGE hamburger lover. So here is my answer to this dilemma: these homemade, part wheat, light and yeasty buns. Now I know that some people think that making hamburger or hotdog buns is flat-out crazy these days....but I don't see that it is much different than making a dinner roll, which seems a pretty normal and accepted thing to do.
Even though this recipe does not call for wheat flour, I always substitute a cup or so just for the flavor. After the dough rises, divide the dough up with a sharp knife. Then flatten out your divided hunks of dough...work with it kind of like you would a piece of playdough! Just play with it, pushing and pulling untill you get a disk about the thickness of a pizza crust.
Put the discs on a baking sheet and cover with a towel while they rise just a bit.
Don't let them rise too long--you don't want them to get overly tall. 
Since I didn't have any sesame seeds on hand to sprinkle my tops with, I ran a stick of butter over the baked buns to give them a nice glow and a soft crust. After they have cooled, carefully split them with a serrated knife. Then bag them up for the freezer to have on hand for the next time you fire up the grill. We brought these for a family cook-out at the lake this weekend, and along with my sister-in-law's home grown lettuce, spinach, and onions, these hamburgers were a hit!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Your picture was so temping looking that I have been craving a burger ever since you posted this! So, we are having burgers tonight! I'm gonna make the Healthy Turkey Burgers on the grill...page 131.