Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hummus and Pimento Cheese gone wild...

I found a new spice that I am trying out in everything that seems reasonable...well, actually it is not a new spice, I just came across some intriguing information about Turmeric, and decided I wanted to use more of it. Turmeric basically cures whatever ails you ("they" say). From cancer, to inflammation, to acne...I am willing to give it a try, since I like turmeric anyway. So I put 1/2 teaspoon turmeric in our Hummus recipe and got brave enough to take it to a church homegroup event. You can see it altered the color a good bit--kind of looks like guacomole, but it is not! It was very well liked, however, I was questioned about the color! But several said it was the best hummus they had ever had.
You can't beat how easy this is to make--throw it all in the food processor, pulse till smooth, and you have hummus! Carissa often substitutes peanut butter for the tahini called for in this hummus, and she says that tastes great. I keep the tahini on hand though, so I use that, and like the taste a lot.
Done! Makes a lot and last a long time in the fridge. Now for my next exploits with turmeric...
The pimento cheese spread on page 18 took on amazing color with the addition of turmeric! David and I love the taste so much in this spread, that I think I will always use this spice when I make pimento cheese.
If you want to read more about turmeric, here is a site I found interesting--it has some pros and cons of the science behind the claims--but I still say it can't hurt to try it out. It is a tasty experiment.
http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html

1 comment:

Dacia said...

i also recently discovered turmeric and i have about 4 extra jars of it because i was in charge of a craft at our mops group where we used turmeric and yogurt to make a face mask and i had a ton of turmeric left. i've never thought to just add it to stuff...so i'll try that! thanks for the tip! ps. i love carissa's hummus recipe!!