Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Creamy Pasta with Roasted Spring Veggies ~ page 94

Cathy posted on this recipe not long ago, but I thought I would add a few more pictures and my comments. By the way, in case yo have not noticed, on the left side of the blog is an Archive section. Here you can easily find any recipe that has been posted. Hopefully, when  you are cooking a recipe, you will use the archives to find pictures, comments, and any corrections for that recipe.
I roasted asparagus, mushrooms, orange bell pepper, and garlic together. I also used a multi-grain pasta, and some really nice, flavorful Parmigiana/Reggiano cheese from Costco.
The veggies get tossed in olive oil, then off to the oven to roast.
The recipe says to simmer the milk and cream with dried basil, but since I had fresh basil from my garden, I didn't simmer it, as that would make it loose it's pretty bright color. If you use fresh, just stir it in as you are mixing everything together at the end. In my sauce, I used half and half instead of the cream called for, and I found that the sauce was pretty thin, it didn't thicken up much during the simmer time. Usually you can substitute cream or half and half in many recipes, but I think this one works better if you use the (whipping) cream as called for.
Now here is a variation I am adding for Day 2 (meaning, leftovers) of this Creamy Pasta dish:
I made the Homemade Creamy Alfredo Sauce ~ page 20; it has even more Parmesan mixed into a lovely silky sauce. (Look at the Archives under sauces to read about this recipe.) I cut the recipe in half for this use. That works just fine. This stuff is amazing! The flavor is spectacular in this sauce. It is in a different category than any jarred Alfredo sauce you have ever tried.
My second day leftovers of Creamy Pasta with Roasted Spring Veggies took on a whole new life with the Alfredo sauce poured over it.

No comments: