Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Carissa's Meatballs ~ page 164

I had some ground turkey sitting out to make a quick dinner of spaghetti, then thought...really, how much more trouble is it to roll the meat into balls? Luckily this recipe has ingredients that I usually have on hand anyway. So, away I went to mixing. I use my stand mixer to reduce the amount of time I have to touch raw meat...kinda grosses me out, just don't overmix.
The recipe calls for half ground beef and half ground pork. I subbed in ground turkey for the beef. I thought it was a great lower fat substitution. To be honest, I thought the beef had a little more flavor than the turkey, but the turkey was worth it for the health benefits, and at the grocery store I shop at, ground turkey is cheaper than beef...so, double bonus!

Above is Lillian my 5 year old (Ok, she is 4, but her Birthday is in 5 days, so I rounded up!) She really does love to help in the kitchen. She scooped and I rolled into balls.



It took two pans to spread them out so they cooked evenly. These would also be super good with a creamy alfredo sauce! They freeze really well too! --Carissa


No comments: