Our Cookbook Blog

Our Cookbook ~ What We Cook, is a compilation of every recipe we (Janice and Carissa) cook - recipes from our cookbook collections, our recipe boxes, and our heads! We set up this blog for friends and family who have our cookbook to let them see pictures we post of the recipes in the book, and also for us to note any corrections, revisions, or additions to What We Cook. We encourage people who are cooking our recipes to let us know how the recipes turn out and any suggestions they might want to make.

In addition, we will be sharing some of our new recipes (along with pictures) that are not in our cookbook. We hope you will help us out and test recipes and give us your comments.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Swedish Crumb Coffeecake ~ page 262

This Coffeecake has been quite the journey! In 3 days I have made it 3 times...I think I finally got it right. Previously I have made this recipe dozens of times in my life, but every time I have made it I have been feeding a crowd so I have doubled it and baked it in a 10x15 glass dish. It came out perfect every time. But I figured that since not everyone has that x-large size of glass dish that I would make it as the recipe calls for. The recipe calls for a 9x9 square baking pan. Well, Great Aunt Ruth must have had the only pan that size out there...I have only heard of an 8x8 pan. So I used that, this pan was a tiny bit small, so the cake in the center of the pan wasn't cooked all the way. I suppose if you cooked it an extra 10 minutes or so it would have been cooked though, but I would be afraid of overcooked corners. 10 minutes after this picture was taken, the center fell!

So, then for the next option. I baked it in two 9 inch round cake pans. The cake came out nice as you can see below, but it was a little thin. I wanted the thicker piece that I got when I have always doubled it.

You can make it in these round pans, but cut the cooking time down to 15-18 minutes.


Below is the final result that I settled on! The old trusty 9x13 pan! The cake was thick enough to make me happy, but it wasn't overly thick making the center under-cooked.


Here is the 9x13 option...I baked it 26 minutes and it was perfect!

I don't know if anyone out there cared to hear all that, you probably just wanted to know what size pan you should correct your cookbook to....just go with the 9x13. As it turns out when my mom dug out the old hand written recipe from Great Aunt Ruth...she had 9x13 on there as an option, then the 9x9 for a thicker coffeecake. I'm sorry for this confusion, we will type up an official correction for the "Correction Tab" so you can correct your cookbook accordingly.
Now if you'll excuse me I have lots of coffeecake to go eat!! --Carissa



No comments: